DUO-India Fellowship Programme has been recently established with the aim of promoting exchange of people between India and European countries on a balanced and permanent basis. DUO-India aims to fund every year, 100 student-pairs for exchanges for one semester, starting from 2020 onwards aiming to provide mobility between Indian and European institutes. In this respect, DUO-India requires that a PAIR (two persons) of students be exchanged, and they should be from any of the collaborating institute (both Indian and European) under SPARC projects.
For this program, only such institutes which are part of the Joint Research Projects under Scheme for Promotion of Academic and Research Collaboration (SPARC) are eligible to participate. The list of eligible institutes (both Indian & European) can be seen in https://sparc.iitkgp.ac.in/. As of now, 14 European countries namely Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and UK are part of SPARC programme.
Due to the unique nature of this programme, in order to be eligible, the following are required:
Eligible are students, whether they are undergraduate, master, doctoral and post-doctorate students who are currently enrolled in institutes (leave of absence is allowed). All applicants shall maintain their “enrollment status” at the time of application until the time they are engaged in exchanges.
The exchange fulfills all the three requirements below:
- The Indian institute (Home institute) will select an Indian national student enrolled at the Home institute to send to the European institute (Host institute), and such selection has been accepted by the Host institute;
- The same Host institute will select an EU citizen student enrolled at the Host institute to be sent to the Home institute, and such selection has been accepted by the Home
- If any of the students are in exchange programmes in the fall of 2019, then they are disqualified.
If any application falls under the following 3 cases, the application is disqualified and will not be considered for selection. If such case is found after the selection, the Secretariat reserves the right to cancel the fellowship (BOTH Indian/European students) and request the return of the fellowship in full. Therefore, the contact persons of the institutes should carefully confirm that the applications do not fall under the following 3 cases.
- Case 1. In case of the Transfer of Credits, the credits for transfer are less than 10 credits (20 ECTS): language and sports courses are NOT to be countedThe Indian institute (Home institute) will select an Indian national student enrolled at the Home institute to send to the European institute (Host institute), and such selection has been accepted by the Host institute;
- Case 2. GPA/ECTS written on the application are different from those of the transcriptThe same Host institute will select an EU citizen student enrolled at the Host institute to be sent to the Home institute, and such selection has been accepted by the Home
- Case 3. During the period for the fall semester 2019, the Indian student does not stay in India (leave of absence is allowed) or the European student does not stay in Europe (leave of absence is allowed)If any of the students are in exchange programmes in the fall of 2019, then they are disqualified.
Duration and Fellowship
DUO-India 2020 is for exchange of students for spring semester (between Jan/Feb and May/June, 2020) and fall semester (between Aug/Sep and Nov/Dec, 2020). The selection of DUO-India Fellows would be made ONLY once a year. In this respect, those who are planning to exchange in 2020 shall apply for DUO-India 2020 within the specified timelines. The duration of exchange should be at least one semester. Exchange of less than one semester is NOT allowed. If the duration of a semester is longer than 4 months, fellowship will be given for 4 months. Similarly, if the duration of a semester is less than 4 months, then the fellowship will be adjusted on a pro-rata basis.
Applications will be accepted from July 15 to August 31, 2019 local Indian time. Applications submitted after August 31, 2019 will not be accepted.
For detailed application and selection procedure and for further information, please visit the ASEM-DUO website