The call for applications for Wallonia-Brussels ASEM-DUO mobility grants for the academic year 2020-2021 is now open. The submission deadline is 14 May 2020.
DUO/Wallonia-Brussels has been established in 2011 by the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (FW-B) in order to promote exchanges of professors between higher education institutions (HEIs) from Wallonia-Brussels and Asia. The mobility activity must be carried out over a period of 3 weeks to 2 months and involves a pair of professors/researchers. Candidates do not necessarily have to work in the same field of study.
As a rule, the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme aims at:
- promoting balanced mobility between higher education professors from the two regions;
- setting up regular exchange programmes between HEIs;
- reinforcing cooperation and dialogue across both regions.
Partner countries include: Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
The exchange is done by pair: one professor from a Wallonia-Brussels HEI is hosted by an Asian institution, whereas an Asian professor is hosted by a Wallonia-Brussels institution. The exchange must necessarily take place between the same two institutions, but does not need to unfold during the same time span, nor between two identical departments.
Applicants must be members of the academic or scientific staff of a Wallonia-Brussels or an Asian higher education institution (i.e. they must be remunerated by the HEI and it must be their main occupation).
However, the following groups are not entitled to a fellowship:
- students and PhD students,
- professors emeritus and honorary professors,
- teaching assistants.
Exemptions are possible for colleges of arts. The selection committee will review eligibility on a case-by-case basis.
For the academic year 2020-2021, the DUO Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels grants are awarded to a pair of professors for a project that should take place between 1 August 2020 and 31 August 2021.
The duration of exchanges and the amount of grants are standardized as follows:
- Duration of stay: the exchange should last at least 3 weeks and maximum 2 months.
- Amount of the fellowship: the grant awarded to the pair of professors amounts to 5,000€ for the two professors. This amount includes mobility and per diem costs.
More information about the eligibility criteria, funding and duration can be found in this document.
The application form can be found here.