The call for applications for an ASEM-DUO mobility grant for the academic year 2019-20 is open. Applications can be sent until the 1st of April 2019. ASEM DUO-Belgium/Flanders Fellowship Program promotes exchanges of students between Belgium/Flanders and 4 Asian countries (China, India, South Korea and Vietnam) on a balanced and permanent basis. In this respect, DUO-Belgium/Flanders requires that a PAIR (two persons) of students will be exchanged in the framework of a cooperative project.
Applicants might be undergraduate (bachelor) and graduate (master) students who are currently enrolled in universities or university colleges in Flanders or one of the four Asian countries.
The selection of DUO-Belgium/Flanders 2019 is made ONLY once a year. In this respect, those who are planning to exchange in Fall Semester of 2019 (August-January) and Spring Semester of 2020(January-August 2020) shall apply for DUO-Belgium/Flanders 2019.
duration and the amount of the scholarship are standardized as follows:
- €650/month (with a maximum of €2.600) for Flemish students and
- €800/month (with a maximum of €3.200) for Asian students
- €1.100 for BOTH the Flemish student and the Asian student for the purpose of travel costs.
- Maximum duration for application is 1 semester (4 months).
Exchange of less than one semester is NOT allowed. If a semester is less than 4 months in the Home/Host institutions, then the scholarship will be adjusted on a pro-rata basis.
Eligibility for participating institutions
The participating institutions have to all five requirements below:
- A higher education institution in Belgium/Flanders (home institution) and an educational institution in Asia (host institution) have established an academic cooperative agreement or have the intention to set up a new cooperation agreement.
- The Flemish higher education institution, as well as the Asian partner cannot ask tuition fees to the students for the exchanges.
- The Flemish home institution has selected a Flemish student enrolled at the home institution to send to the Asian host institution, and such selection has been accepted by the Asian host institution. A Flemish student is defined as a student from any nationality, subscribed in a Flemish Higher Education Institution.
- The same Asian host institution has selected an Asian student enrolled at the host institution to send to the Flemish home institution, and such selection has been accepted by the same Flemish home institution.
- If the Flemish student has already started the exchange or the Asian student has already stayed in Belgium/Flanders before the application period for DUO- Belgium/Flanders 2018, the application is not acceptable.
The higher education institution in Belgium/Flanders applies on behalf of both institutions and persons who are to participate in the exchange. Asian institutions shall cooperate fully with Flemish institutions in supplying precise information of Asian applicants. Individuals wishing to take part in exchanges are advised to contact the relevant offices (e.g. International Relations Offices) of the higher education institution to file an application for this program.
Applications will be accepted until April 1st 2019 GMT+1. Applications submitted after April 1 2019 will not be accepted.
More information as well as the application forms can be found on the ASEM-DUO website.