Description of the initiative
In cooperation with partner universities and ASEM governments, the ASEM LLL Hub together with its five research networks organise seminars and conferences every year, publish books and the ASEMagazine for Lifelong Learning and disseminate information on its website. At ASEM LLL conferences, the research results are presented to the public, representatives of ASEM ministries and academic communities.
Click here to visit the website of the ASEM Lifelong Learning Hub.
ASEM Partners and stakeholders involved
- Initiative : ASEM LLL HUB
- Open to all representatives from all ASEM countries representing ministries, agencies, or stakeholder organizations.
- Partners involved: ASEM partners), ASEF and local partners
Activities, progress and achievements
- ASEM LLL Hub conference: "Self-learning in a Digital Era”, New Delhi, India, 2-4 November 2015
The conference was co-organized with the Danish Embassy in New Delhi, and gathered 65 participants from 19 countries. At the meeting researchers, policymakers and practitioners discusses contemporary possibilities of self-learning in a digital era, key concepts for policies and practices in Asia and Europe and what role researchers and policy makers should play in creating lifelong learning opportunities for all in Asia and Europe.
- ASEM LLL Hub conference: “Intergenerational Learning: Workplace Learning, Community Learning and Learning Within the Family", Brno, Czech Republic 18-21 November 2015
The conference was co-organized with Masaryk University and contributed to understanding of intergenerational learning in both Asia and Europe as a process through which individuals of all ages acquire skills and knowledge, but also attitudes and values, from daily experience, from all available resources and from all influences in their own ‘life worlds’.
- ASEM LLL Hub conference: "Engaging Young People in Lifelong Learning", Melbourne, Australia, 30 November-2 December 2015
The conference hosted by RMIT University brought together researchers from all over Asia and Europe to cover country-specific approaches to lifelong learning. Researchers discussed topics such as the impact of the recent economic crisis on young people’s engagement in education, work and welfare, as well as the trend of growing privatisation in the education sector and how this affects lifelong learning opportunities.
- ASEM LLL Hub conference: “Supporting Adult Education for a Sustainable Life Course: Asian and European perspectives on Education, Work and Citizenship” , 6-8 June 2016,
The conference was jointly hosted by CR&DALL at the University of Glasgow and the Centre for Learning and Life Chances in Knowledge Economies and Societies (LLakes), UCL Institute of Education, London on behalf of the ASEM LLL Hub. This conference brought together the ASEM LLL Hub Research Network on “National Lifelong Learning Strategies” and the ASEM LLL Hub Research Network on “Workplace Learning”.
- ASEM LLL Hub conference: “Lifelong Learning and Resilience in Disaster Management: Asian and European Perspectives” , Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam, 8-10 November 2016
At the conference researchers, policymakers and practitioners discussed contemporary possibilities of the need to renew the agenda of lifelong learning, key concepts for policies and practices in Asia and Europe and what role researchers and policy makers should play in creating lifelong learning opportunities for all in Asia and Europe. The conference produced several recommendations on how to implement lifelong learning as a key to promote resilience in disaster management, strengthen networks in and amongst countries facing disasters and to involve more institutions dealing with disasters
- 1st International Conference of European and Asian Researchers and Educators on Lifelong Learning for Sustainable Development (I-Ceare 2017): “Universities and Communities in Asia and Europe: Creating Meaning for Sustainable Development”. Boracay Island, the Philippines, 12-14 May 2017
More than 150 researchers and educators from Asia and Europe participated in the 1st International Conference of European and Asian Researchers and Educators on Lifelong Learning for Sustainable Development (I-CEARE 2017) with the theme, "Universities and Communities in Asia and Europe: Creating Meaning for Sustainable Development". I-CEARE 2017 provided a platform for Asian and European researchers and educators to converse, share perspectives and create cross-cutting partnerships on non-formal lifelong education. Responding to Goal 4 of the Sustainable Development Goals, "ensuring inclusive and equitable quality education and lifelong learning for all", as well as the priorities of the ASEM Education Process.
- ASEM LLL Hub conference “Theory meets Practice: Teacher Training in the Digital Era”, Zug Switzerland, 8-10 September 2017
More than 100 researchers, teacher trainers, and secondary, vocational and high school teachers from over 40 ASEM Countries gathered on 8 - 11 September 2017 in Zug, Switzerland at the ASEM LLL Hub & 13th ASEF ClassNet Conference. Participants explored and identified competencies of Adult Educators and Trainers required for education and training in the digital era across ASEM countries, which were documented as recommendations for researchers, policy-makers and academic practitioners.
- Forthcoming (TBD): Conference on “Lifelong Learning and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) - Part 1: Teacher Professionalization & Training.