Description of the Initiative
The Expert Working Group was established to discuss interregional credit transfer mechanisms and learning outcome systems amongst ASEM member countries. The mission of the Expert Group is to facilitate dialogue, enhance understanding, strengthen mutual-trust, and promote cooperation in areas of credit transfer mechanisms and learning outcomes systems, with emphasis on working out concrete and feasible plans and activities while taking into consideration the diverse higher education systems in the ASEM partner countries, in order to foster the establishment of ASEM interregional credit transfer mechanisms, to facilitate recognition of credits and learning outcomes.
Aims and objectives
- Facilitate dialogue, enhance understanding and strengthen mutual-trust;
- promote cooperation in areas of credit transfer mechanisms and learning outcomes systems; and
- foster the establishment of ASEM interregional credit transfer mechanisms,
- facilitate recognition of credits and learning outcomes.
ASEM Partners and Stakeholders currently involved
Belgium (French and Flemish Communities), Brunei Darussalam, China, Estonia, France, Germany, Indonesia, Latvia, Lithuania, Malaysia, Portugal, Romania, Thailand and UK, ASEAN University Network (AUN) and the Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization Regional Centre for Higher Education and Development (SEAMEO RIHED).
Progress and Achievements
- Work on grade conversion between Asia and Europe
- Update of the Compendium in progress;
- Template for compendium developed by the expert group, input from partners through template collected and processed by AES, filled templates from member countries peer reviewed by the expert group.
Partly completed; aims partly achieved; ongoing.
Plans and expected outcomes
ASEMME7: Chair's Conclusion 26
- An expert group meeting is held preferably twice a year but at least once a year;
- A fully operational compendium on Higher Education systems focusign on credits and learning outcomes comprising most ASEM countries;
- development a framework for grading systems to support student mobility between higher education systems in Europe and Asia
- organise a PLA/Policy forum on outcomes based education and the relation between learning outcomes and mobility